Montag, 10. September 2012

Happy Birthday Monsieur Karl

Today the world renowned Paris-based German fashion designer and photographer Karl Lagerfeld celebrates his 79th birthday. 

Born and raised in Hamburg (Germany), Karl Lagerfeld emigrated to Paris at the age of 14 and made fashion history. In 1955, at the age of 17, Lagerfeld worked at Pierre Balmain, after winning second place at a coat design competition, behind Yves Saint-Laurent. He then worked for Jean Patou, Krizia, Charles Jourdan and Valentino. In 1967, he joined Fendi, then Chloé the following decade. He joined Chanel in 1983 and in 1984 he launched his own name Karl Lagerfeld label which, he said, would channel "intellectual sexiness".

In 2004 Lagerfeld designed some outfits for Madonna's Re-Invention world tour and in 2005 he also designed outfits for Kylie Minogue's Showgirl world tour and Showgirl: The Homecoming Tour.

Outside of his fashion world, Lagerfeld enjoys learning languages and speaks fluent German, English, French and Italian. His other passions include antiques and photography, and he consider himself a workaholic – totally in love with his job! In May 2011 he said that he wasn't a big technology man: "I don't use cell phones. I read, I write, I love faxes, I like to take notes. I hate to be on the phone, I think it's an intrusion. I'm reading, I'm sketching, I don't want to be interrupted," he said.

On June 3rd, 2011 he was awarded the Gordon Parks Foundation Award in recognition of his work as a designer, photographer and filmmaker. "I'm so proud, and so very thankful, but I'm never done," said Lagerfeld of the honour. "I knew Gordon's photos before I knew Gordon, and they left such an impression on me as a student in Munich. That's what you want, as an artist. That's what I hope for."

From my personal collection this is an 11 x 14 inch original photography by Karl Lagerfeld, signed & dated by him and the model Baptiste Giabiconi



Karl Lagerfeld - Face To Face (2012)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen